Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I've been coming up to QVC for almost a year now, and this weekend marks the first time I've ventured off the Main Line for a meal... met an old friend for dinner in Manayuk, a Philly suburb on the banks of the Schuykill River. Great locale; really vibrant with lots of foot traffic. Outside of the nightmare that is finding a parking spot, this a really cool neighborhood...

Our destination was Derek's on Main Street (http://www.dereksrestaurant.com/), smack dab in the midst of the hustle and flow of a springtime Friday night. My childhood friend, Nancy, arrived in advance, as did the crispy, fried calamari she ordered while waiting for me to ditch my rental car. Bonus for me! The calamari was nicely seasoned, with the just the right amount of lemon, to give it a nice spicy/citrusy zing. The remoulade sauce for dipping was creamy and rich, and a good balance of flavor...

I started with a special that night, not on the menu: Sweet Potato Soup. I was impressed when the waiter served it out of a small procelain urn. Already in the bowl anticipating the pour was a toasted wedge of French bread with a generous dollop of soft, creamy goat cheese. The soup was pureed and rich; The toast, just slightly submerged in a semi-thick sea of deep orange lushness. Not sure if the intent was to be served at room temperature as it was, but I wasn't offended, given my alfresco seating and the time of year.

For my meal, I went with an entree that was highlighted on the menu as an award-winner: Pork shoulder with a Pinot Noir sauce. It arrived pulled, much like the way you'd be served at a BBQ joint, and it was pleasantly crunchy on top, but really tender and moist. Not sure if that was the result of the pork being finished off under the broiler, or just the crust it obtained from searing it before shredding it. Either way, it was a surprise and a delight. The pork shoulder was the star of the plate, but a Best Supporting nod goes to the the bed of mushroom and corn polenta that was underneath. A nice compromise of fluffy and dense textures; not too creamy or mushy. It held up to each forkful of meat, complimenting it, not overwhelming it.

For the record, Nancy ordered the baby spinach, goat cheese, and bacon pizza. It was excellent, as well. I loved this derivation of the Holy Trinity of pizza toppings: cheese, meat, and veggie. The spinach was sauteed; the bacon, substaintial; the goat cheese, slightly tart. Just the right parsing of all three. Derek makes his pizzas in a wood burning oven, and the crust was crisp with just the right amount of chewiness. It had a light, tomato sauce base, with mozzarella, and hint of roasted garlic. One bite and you can tell all of the ingredients were fresh and bright...

All in all, a terrific meal with an equally satisfying setting and company...

No comments:

Post a Comment