Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Monday, July 13, 2009

I left my heart...

OK, maybe not my heart, but a piece of this food lover's ticker is definitely longing to be back in SF. The perfect capper to my month-long foodie excursion. Dinner at the Slanted Door in the Ferry Building, where I sampled a few different dishes. The only minor disappointment was the toughness of the ribs. The sauce was decadent, but I was expecting the meat to be a little more succulent. Everything else was beyond reproach, though.. even the wheat beer (whose name I fail to recall... DOH!)...
Lunch the next day before my show at Yank Sing, where you must prepare to be bombarded by a cavalcade of waitresses, carting to your table all sorts of goodies before you can barely put your napkin on your lap. All of the dumplings were incredible. I had some shrimp, poke, veggie. What a fun experience, and some of the top dim sum you'll come across...

San Francisco has such an international vibe to it. You sense it just walking its streets, and then you see it and taste it with the plethora of dining choices that can be made. And the Ferry Building market? Where else can you find a gourmet chocolatier next to a wild mushroom stand, across from a charcuterie, just down from a lavish wine shop.... it's as close to food/window shopping nirvana as I've experienced!

Back home now, and prepping as a finalist on Home Cooking Star. I made the Top 10, and had to complete a Black Box Challenge to get there (think Quickfire Challenge on Top Chef). It was exhilarating and reaffirming to know I could execute an entire meal with a laundry list of ingredients in under an hour. I did, and the results were satisfying, if not delicious.
If by some miracle to stumble across this blog before getting accosted by me electronically (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, e-mail), you can visit
http://homecookingstar.ning.com/group/richhollenberg to vote...

No comments:

Post a Comment