King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Shred rotisserie chicken (I used one; possibly coulda benefited from more) and spread half in the dish.
- Meanwhile, sautee 2 tbsp. butter and a 10 oz. bag of frozen onions, celery and peppers, about 5 minutes (or until tender).
- Place in a bowl and stir in 2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes, along with 1 tsp. of mexican chile spice.
- Layer in 1/2 the soup mixture on top of chicken, top with 1c shredded cheddar cheese, then 1 1/2 c roughly crumbled white corn tortilla chips (preferably lime-flavored, like Tostitos has -- my fave!).
- Repeat the layering once more: chicken, soup mixture, cheese, then crushed chips.
- Top with extra 1c of cheddar cheese, and bake at 400 degrees for approx. 25 minutes.
This is one of those dishes I'm hoping with build a bridge for my kids (my son, really) from the typical hot dogs and grilled cheese to a broader tasting profile. Specifically... I want them to eat what we eat for dinner!
Any ideas on how to accomplish that, please comment at your leisure!!