Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Take Comfort in this Hollenberg Thanksgiving Tradition

Gobble Gobble, Everyone!
I'm settling in with my extended family, in the mountains surrounding picturesque Lake Hartwell, Georgia, for our Thanksgiving feast. I have mixed feelings, to be honest, because this is one of the first times in my married life I will not be hosting the festivities. What I'm quickly realizing, however, is that it's not the location that matters most, it's the people you are with...and the food. Always, the food...

To that end, I have (forcefully) volunteered my services in helping prepare the meal. Specifically, my annual Thanksgiving Stuffing recipe, which I culled from the Vinoy Hotel over a decade ago. I feel like this year is a bit of a rite of passage for me and my stuffing, as this marks the first year I will be preparing it from memory -- no recipe on paper in sight (keep this in mind when scanning the directions below!). And it is also a fitting recipe for the company I'm keeping, seeing as how this dish has a distinctly Southern sensibility to it. If it's not too late for you to enjoy this today, rest assured it is easy and quick to create. If you find this and the moment has passed...I hope this becomes a tradition for your family next year, and for years to come...

Roasted Pecan Southern Comfort Corn Bread Stuffing

  • Prepare 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Mix, as directed on the box.
  • Saute an onion and 2 celery stalks in butter in the bottom of a stock pot, until softened.
  • Crumbled prepared corn bread into stock pot, and add approx. 2c chicken broth, until mixture is moistened completely.
  • Chop 1c pecans, season with a pinch (or two) of cayenne pepper, and toast (usually just a few minutes).
  • Add chopped pecans to mixture until combined.
  • Season with marjoram, salt & pepper.
  • In a small sauce pan, add 1c Southern Comfort. Light the alcohol to flame off in the pan.
  • Add SoCo to the stuffing until combined.

The spiciness of the peppered pecans mixes really nicely with the sweetness of the Southern Comfort, and it's all brought together in harmony in the corn bread base. Great balance of bigger flavors that stand out on what is typically a crowded Thanksgiving plate.

Enjoy, and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment