Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Friday, November 26, 2010

Breakfast in EAT-lanta


While everyone still has Thanksgiving on the brain... I am still recalling fond memories of a breakfast I enjoyed a scant few days ago, before turkey and stuffing dominated my taste buds. And while I felt a pang of regret for not paying a visit to my favorite breakfast spot in the ATL (oh, Flying Biscuit, how I still love thee), I was psyched for my first experience at the Original Pancake House...

I learned, actually, that the original Original is in Portland, Oregon, born in 1953 at the loving hands of Les Highet and Erma Hueneke. They now have over one hundred franchises from coast to coast, which have won local and national acclaim. The recipes demand only the very finest of ingredients, such as 93 score butter, pure 36% whipping cream, fresh grade AA eggs, hard wheat unbleached flour, and their own recipe sourdough starter. Their batters and sauces are made fresh in each restaurant’s kitchen. All of this TLC shines through, from the waitresses to the retro decor. This is a diner upon which all diner's should be measured...

I ordered big and broad, wanting to sample as much of their menu as possible. The signature of the OPH is their Dutch Baby, described by its originators as "an air filled delight oven baked to golden perfection and served with lemon, whipped butter and powdered sugar to create a mouthwatering blend." What an incredible combo! So light (a cross between a crepe and a pancake), so bright (loved the fresh-squeezed lemon juice), and just the right amount of decadent (butter, powdered sugar). It went faster than expected...but luckily, I still had room for more -- namely, my bacon pancakes. Need is say more? The balance of savory and sweet is right in my stomach's wheelhouse. If you've ever been pleasantly surprised by the happy accident that occurs on your plate when your maple syrup encroaches on your eggs and bacon... you know the joys of this dish. I'm honestly stunned that more breakfast joints don't offer this on their menus as a stand alone item...

And speaking of menus... the OPH's is extensive, if not overwhelmingly tempting. No fewer than 18 pancake offerings, plus waffles, and omelet variations, too, each one deserving of a taste.
The potato pancakes warrant special mention, as well. They're made flat, and although I prefer the crispy kind, derivative of hash browns, these were plenty satisfying.

Kudos to the Original Pancake House for keepin' it real, sticking with what works (and has for over 50 years), and earning a place in my heart... along with another bookmark as a place I will continue to visit on my many returns to the ATL...

No comments:

Post a Comment