Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Hangover or not,.. THE place for Breakfast in Vegas

I just so happened to be working at a Vegas TV station that was all of 5 minutes away from what turns out to be an Off-The-Strip breakfast institution since 1988.  The Egg & I is a relatively nondescript joint off the beaten path, but all it takes is a cursory Internet search to realize this is a local fave.  Now I know why...
Super-friendly service with your classic, homespun fare.  There are also some creative combos listed on the menu, and I was drawn to the Bacon, Avocado, and Cheese Omelet.  It was huge, and the heaping helping of home fries (cubed, seasoned, crispy) was nearly its match in sheer volume.  The omelet was still relatively light, a feat considering how much was loaded inside.  The bacon retained its crunch, and was complimented nicely by the smooth creaminess of the avo.  A dollop of sour cream on the side was a nice touch, too.

But the unmitigated star is neither egg nor potato-based in nature.  It is the Egg Works secret family recipe for their homemade banana muffins.  I wouldn't have thought twice about it except for my aforementioned helpful server, who recommended I sub it for toast.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  It is super-moist and dark, almost ebony, in color.  The only things I could be sure of is that there was chocolate and molasses in the ingredients.  Anything else that makes it so sensational remains a mystery.  And maybe some things are better left unspoken.  This was just one of the magical, memorable food moments that totally took me off guard.  I know I will never taste many banana muffins in my time... and none will take the place of the stunner at the Egg & I...

    

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rich(ie)!

    We actually go to Vegas quite often and are so psyched to learn of a new off the strip place:)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete