Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To New Jersey...and back



First time back on the blog since my return from my roots... saw Bruce "close" Giants Stadium, and also got a good dose of Jersey life, eating at 2 of my favorite haunts from back in the day...
The first was a breakfast at the Ridge Diner in Park Ridge, NJ, just a stone's throw from my childhood home. What made this return even better was that I was there with one of my best friends from college, who has since migrated to my old hometown. We ate typical breakfast fare that morning -- eggs, pancakes, french toast... and it was good to be back in those familiar surroundings, especially with 2 generations...
Lunch that day was take-out from Casa Del Sol, and it still remains one of the best roast beef hoagies I'll ever devour. This time, my buddy Pete ordered for us: rare roast beef, thick slices of mozzarella, and roasted red peppers. Nothing like it.
And it's truly one of the things that makes me so passionate about food: the ability for a taste, a smell, a texture, to transport you back in time. There's something... pastoral about it for me. And yet it tastes as good today as it did when I was younger...
I am, and always will be, proud to be from the Garden State!

No comments:

Post a Comment