Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ebel-what??



Ebelskivers! Ever heard of 'em? They are the Scandinavians' gift to the pantheon of pancakes. Neat idea, especially if you like combining sweets and savories at breakfast time... or perhaps breakfast for dinner.


Texturally, ebelskivers are similar to their flat, round cousin. But they cross over into popover territory from there. Fill them with fruit, or bacon and cheese, or make 'em like cinnamon sticky buns. Only challenge is: you need a special pan to make them. Although, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if you could use a traditional muffin pan. I may give that a try... and report back.
Either way, I'd start out with pancake mix (although there is 'special' ebelskiver mix available)
and have fun with your fillings from there!

Who says the Dutch have never contributed anything significant to the culinary culture?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment