Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Philly Food & Wine

Good times at the Philly Food & Wine Festival this weekend. I'll post pics once I get them all, but wanted to deliver on my promise of posting the recipe I demo'ed ASAP. Thanks to all the wonderful peeps in the crowd for turning out, and staying put. Following Aaron McCargo, Michael Voltaggio, and Fabio Viviani ain't exactly an enviable position for a rank amateur like myself, and the crowd that was there made life a whole lot easier and more enjoyable...

This recipe resonates with me for a couple of reasons: it's easy, tasty, and healthy. And it was the perfect thing to demonstrate on Halloween Eve, because of the "trick" of the squash posing as spaghetti!

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

  • Slice one large spaghetti squash lengthwise. Place cut sides down on a greased baking sheet and roast for approx. 45:00 in a 400 degree oven. Cool completely when done.
  • Meanwhile, cook 4 slices of bacon in a pan. Remove and drain to cool.
  • Dice an onion and add to same pan with bacon grease. Saute until soft. Set aside.
  • Grate 4 oz. Havarti cheese, 4 oz. Swiss cheese, and 2 oz. Romano cheese in a large bowl.
  • Chop the bacon and combine with 2c bread crumbs (I prefer Panko) and 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Set a side (this is your topping).
  • In another bowl, combine 1/4c stone ground mustard, 1/4c sour cream, 1/4c chopped parsley.
  • Scoop out the squash seeds from the cooled squash. Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash halves, forming long strands, and add to the wet mixture. Mix completely. Season with salt & pepper.
  • Mix in the remaining 2/3 of the cheese mixture to the squash mixture. Spread in a 9x13 greased casserole dish.
  • Top with the bread crumb/bacon/cheese mixture.
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for approx. 25:00 until golden brown, then broil and additional 2-3 minutes until the cheeses bubbles and the top is crispy.

My demo went pretty well (there were no leftovers!)... and I hope this dish serves you and yours well in your home...

No comments:

Post a Comment