Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Squash This!

It's that time of year for recipes. The time of year where the glorious Gourd takes center stage, in its manifold forms: pumpkin, acorn, and, my personal fave, spaghetti. In fact, I will be posting my Spaghetti Squash Casserole recipe I will be demo'ing @ the Philadelphia Food & Wine Festival shortly. But this post is dedicated to the colorful, popular, if not sometimes vexing butternut variety. A name that congers cozy, comfort food... but can be a real witch to deal with, if ya know what I mean.

I found this recipe from CHOW to be pretty simple to prepare. I enjoy a chunky texture to my pastas, and this one certainly had that, but I would recommend taking your with the squash in the saute pan to make sure they're nice and tender. And I chose egg noodles, because the creamy sauce clings to them nicely...

Egg Noodles with Butternut Squash & Thyme Cream Sauce

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into medium dice
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

  • Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the egg noodles until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
  • Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic, and salt and sauté until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
  • Add the squash, thyme, and pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the squash is starting to brown and just gives way when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes.
  • Pour in the cream, stir to coat the vegetables, and bring to a boil. Stir in the cheese and simmer for 2 minutes.
  • Transfer the pasta directly into the sauce. Remove the pasta and sauce from heat and toss with tongs to coat the pasta.
  • Add the reserved pasta water by the tablespoon to reach the desired sauce consistency. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment