Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Back to Cookin'

Feels like it's been forever...since I've had a chance to cook in earnest in my own kitchen, and, in turn, blog about it here! Things have quieted down on the travel front for me, and tonight I used a little bit of inspiration from F&W mag, and a little of my own know-how, and came up with a (mostly) healthy, delicious dinner for the wife and me...

Roasted Fish with Lemon-Pepper Aoli
The Food & Wine recipe called for sea bass filets, but I opted for tilapia because a) it's about 1/4 the price, b) my Publix wasn't carrying sea bass, and c) my wife doesn't stray too far from her beloved tilapia comfort zone when it comes to me preparing fish in the house...
  • Turn broiler on high. Place thinly sliced lemon pieces plus 1 tbsp. EVOO in a small roasting dish, and broil until lemon slices start to brown.
  • Meanwhile, make 3 deep slices into each of 4 fish filets, and place a small bay leaf in each slit (so, 12 total, if you're keeping score at home).
  • Transfer all but 2 of the thin lemon slices into larger broiler-safe dish/pan, sprinkle with chopped thyme (or sprigs, if you have 'em), and place fish in dish/pan, drizzling another tbsp. EVOO on top, plus salt and pepper to taste.
  • Broil fish for at least 8-10 minutes. I broiled for closer to 15 -- I like the fish as crispy as possible, and the lemon juices and olive oil helped keep it from drying out.
  • While the fish is broiling, mix 1/4c mayo, the 2 reserved thin lemon slices (finely chopped), and a pinch of cayenne pepper to create the aoli.
  • When fish is ready, plate it with lemons (remove the bay leaves!) and pour whatever juices are in the pan into the aoli, and mix. Serve immediately.

As a side, I concocted a simple, yet flavorful and complimentary side dish of chopped spinach and artichoke hearts.

  • Sautee in a pan that has EVOO and minced/chopped garlic already.
  • After a few minutes, add grated parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
  • Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top after serving.

A nice chilled glass of Pinot Grigio was a terrific partner, although I could imagine a Sauvignon Blanc doing the trick, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment