Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Monday, April 20, 2009

Breaking Baking News!!

MANDEL BREAD (like manna from Heaven)
This just in: handed down from my late, great-grandmother Nanie Sadie (one of the best bakers in the History of Little Jewish Ladies Baking -- I still have dreams about her coconut custard pie) to my grandma Nanie Ceil... and the best thing about this posting is Nanie Ceil e-mailed it to me after reading this blog!!!!! Gotta love this crazy thing called the Internet...
(Editor's note: for those of you not familiar, think a slightly moister version of biscotti)

  1. Mix together 1 stick of softened margarine, 1/4c. vegetable oil, 3 eggs, 3/4c sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 cups of regular flour, 2 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, 1 cup finely ground almonds, 1/2 bag of chocolate bits (Nanie says 'optional.' I say 'mandatory!')
  2. form 3 rolls put on a floured baking sheet and bake at 350 till the rolls are hard enough.
  3. slice when cooled sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixed and put back to toast.

L'chaim!!

No comments:

Post a Comment