Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Crescent City Cooks!

Another tremendous and memorable culinary experience last night in New Orleans. I basically helped open Emeril's Delmonico, since I got there at 4:30 and the bar doesn't even open til 5! I befriended the manager, Caleb, and learned a lot about the restaurant and the space itself (a gorgeous, old, classic New Orleans converted home)... then, when the clock struck 5 (it's always 5:00 somewhere), I bellied up to the impressive, albeit small, bar, and got to talking with Vinny, the bar manager. Enjoyed a crisp, refreshing glass of Albarino (a Spanish cousin to New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc), and enjoyed learning more about the place (you can learn a lot about a lot if you're the only patron in the bar!)... ordered Shrimp Remoulade to start and it was delicious as anticipated: the chilled, fresh shrimp was generously covered with the sweet, tangy remoulade, served under field greens. Looked great on the plate and even better with each bite. Vinny then served me up his own mojito concoction -- a Lindsey (!), which became so popular from word of mouth that it's now a standard on their drink menu. Absolutely delicious! I paid close attention to Vinny as he prepped. The key additions that set it apart -- fresh raspberries to go along with the basil, but he didn't mottle the mixture, as is usually the standard practice, opting instead to vigorously shake it all to blend (hey, it's a time-saver, too!). Then, special step #2, top it with a champagne floater, and serve in a sugared rim glass... Machismo Alert! -- the drink comes out pink, but man, I had no reservations whatsoever, because it was outstanding!
The best was yet to come... Vinny took me on a personal tour of the space, from the upstairs private dining (Emeril has his own "Crystal Room," named for the gorgeous, antique chandelier that hangs in it) with it's lush, velvety wallpaper, to the downstairs wine cellar and meat locker, where Delmonico's ages all it's own beef. An eye-opening and inspiring look behind the scenes of a top-flight restaurant, and a great way to pass the time while I awaited my petite filet...
And it was worth the wait, for sure. I ordered it medium, with no side dishes, so as to really concentrate and savor it's singular flavor and texture. It practically melted in my mouth. It was served with homemade Bearnaise and horseradish sauces. The Bearnaise was heavenly, and just a drop was required to compliment the beef. Certainly ranks as one of the great steaks I've ever had...
As is usually the case when one is alone and at a bar, conversations with strangers come easy (especially with a glass of wine and a shot under your belt), and one I had led me on quite the unexpected adventure. Being that it was still so early in the evening, I was up for one...
I somehow ended up at a small, understated spot, with a name as unpretentious as the space. It is called Butcher. An honest-to-goodness charcuterie, this place had some of the more extravagant meats and plates I've ever experienced. I tried roast duck pastrami on toast pieces, a pizzeta (tiny pizza) topped with a perfectly executed quail egg, and a sampling of cured salamis among a number of other meats and small plates that were all incredibly tasty. Almost a surreal experience, considering it's a true local's hangout, so in a way, I felt like a fly on the wall, albeit one with a big appetite!
All in all, my taste buds were treated to one of the memorable food experiences I've had in my lifetime. New Orleans, as much as any place I've visited, is truly a carnival of flavors for a foodie...

No comments:

Post a Comment