Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Friday, June 19, 2009

Travels...Musings... & More

So I'm in the top 20 finalists for this online cooking reality series (www.homecookingstar.ning.com/group/richhollenberg), whose topic this inaugural season is BBQ recipes. I entered one whose most provocative ingredient is Dr. Pepper. I in no way take credit for this: that goes to a chef friend (and James Beard nominee) Zack Gross, of Z-Grille, in St. Pete. I had also seen Dr. Pepper featured in "Top Chef" a while back.
But, the recent influx of Dr. Pepper sightings on TV and in food blogs, etc. is becoming almost ridiculous! It was featured again on TV, this time by both Graham Elliot Bowles and Susanne Tracht on "Top Chef Masters" this past Wednesday night, and no sooner do I catch that on the DVR, than I read about Dr. Pepper ribs on the NY Magazine food blog, "Grub Street." It's everywhere!! Maybe that "23 secret ingredients" campaign really worked....

In the midst of a foodie media tour, travelling to 10 different markets to give tips on BBQ/grilling season. One of the most pleasant surprises was Albuquerque, NM. Stayed at a fab hotel right on the cusp of Old Town (Hotel Albuquerque), and visited 3 spots that I would recommend to anyone: Seasons appears to be the most contemporary, hip, fine dining you'll find in the area, and the 2nd floor views are breathtaking, as is the menu, and the wine and beer list (as I'd hoped, lots of west of the Mississippi microbrews on tap)... Little Anita's is almost stereotypically New Mexican, but don't ever ever ever call in TexMex! The dishes looked the same, but the taste was miles beyond what we're used to... next day, had lunch at Church St. Cafe, which occupies the oldest standing building recorded in Albuquerque. Exactly what you want from this type of town: rustic, charming, brimming with local ingredients (I ordered (and loved) the Pueblo Burger).
My two favorite takeaways from this 24-hour stopover: blue corn pancakes, topped with pine nuts, and a peach-maple syrup for breakfast... and Indian fry bread (which is what my Pueblo Burger was served on). Also, be prepared to sample fresh green chile on...everything! It's as common there as any condiment you can think of. All in all, outrageously simple, good, locavore-inspired food, and the people are kind and welcoming, too...

Does anyone have any grilling/BBQ tips they'd want to share, that I can then suggest on my tour (I'd give you credit for it on TV!)?? If so, make sure to comment...

Anyone ever been to Albuquerque, and care to comment on your fave spots? Let me hear your favorite places to eat when you're abroad... always looking for good recommendations!!

This week, I'm off to Nashville, New Orleans, and Orlando...
Been to Nashville once before and encountered (I swear) the best pizza joint outside NYC... Christopher Pizza -- funky, fun, and fresh made, original 'za with such creative toppings and combos... Love the fact that even though I won't get to the French Quarter, I can still get a Cafe DuMonde fix (in Metairie) -- gotta love the chicory and bignets...


I must say it is with a heavy heart that I write this latest entry. The patriarch of the Hollenberg family, my Papa Harry, passed away Thursday. He will be missed and remembered fondly by so many friends and family members. And my 2 sons and I carry on his good name proudly...

No comments:

Post a Comment