Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Random Thoughts From the Road

Just got back from a day in Miami, meeting with some electronics folks about some products I'll be representing for them on QVC, and, as it always seems to be the case these days, my adventures dovetail into multiple avenues of my life, both work and personal. To wit: while waiting for our meeting to commence, I suggest we grab a quick bite to eat, seeing as how it was lunch time and all. My colleagues take me to a lunch spot not 3 minutes from their offices in Doral. A nice, new place, with a fairly extensive menu, called Harvest Delight. The type of place that's part diner, part family restaurant. You could tell, despite the freshly painted walls and marble countertops, that there was some serious home cooking going on in the kitchen, and that this was indeed a family affair...
This Middle Eastern vibe I was catching reminded me that my wife's Uncle Hugh has cousins in this area, and these cousins own an eatery called Daily Bread. I asked my lunchmates if they were familiar with it, and in hopes of triggering a responses, I called Hughbie to find out the address. He told me that they had recently opened a third place... in Doral (you following me here?)... called... Harvest Delight...!!!!! I was sitting in the very place by sheer coincidence and proximity to the offices I was calling on!
Next thing I know, I'm bear-hugging Neva, Hugh's cousin from Saudi Arabia, who manages Harvest; she's bringing out plates of fresh hummus and warm, toasted pita, along with sensational, authentic chicken kebabs. After all... we're family! What a fortunate find! And delicious food, too. I had the prosciutto and mozzarella sandwich on a homemade baguette, drizzled with balsamic and olive oil, which also tasted freshly made. Filling, and fine...

With all the air travel I've been doing lately, I'm really getting some serious reading done, so, Oprah's Book List be damned, here's a few picks for you, not that you asked:
Just finished Outliers (Malcolm Gladwell). Another engrossing read, equally as intriguing as his first two, Tipping Point and Blink. Highly recommend it. Gladwell deconstructs certain stereotypes to make practical and logical sense of why people succeed, struggle, and survive they way they do, as outliers in their respective fields or family lines. Fascinating stuff...

Almost done with Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture. My god, what a gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, heart-warming, story of a man and his quest to solidify his legacy for his family and his students. He is no super hero, for sure, but he is a hero in so many ways. Inspirational, to say the least. You'll smile with tears staining your cheeks more than once...

About to embark on one I've been meaning to pick up for a while, that was recommended by my brother-in-law (and class A oenophile), Larry. The Billionaire's Vinegar is a non-fiction mystery about the world's most expensive wine, and the tales that surrounded it. Can't wait to pop the cork on that one...

Lots of reading to be done as I venture up to QVC land for Sunday shows all day. I no doubt will be reporting back on more food and dining adventures that await me in the Northeast...

No comments:

Post a Comment