Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tastes Like Chicken

Found a fun recipe from Southern Living and made it for the family last night....

King Ranch Chicken Casserole
  1. Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Shred rotisserie chicken (I used one; possibly coulda benefited from more) and spread half in the dish.
  2. Meanwhile, sautee 2 tbsp. butter and a 10 oz. bag of frozen onions, celery and peppers, about 5 minutes (or until tender).
  3. Place in a bowl and stir in 2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes, along with 1 tsp. of mexican chile spice.
  4. Layer in 1/2 the soup mixture on top of chicken, top with 1c shredded cheddar cheese, then 1 1/2 c roughly crumbled white corn tortilla chips (preferably lime-flavored, like Tostitos has -- my fave!).
  5. Repeat the layering once more: chicken, soup mixture, cheese, then crushed chips.
  6. Top with extra 1c of cheddar cheese, and bake at 400 degrees for approx. 25 minutes.

This is one of those dishes I'm hoping with build a bridge for my kids (my son, really) from the typical hot dogs and grilled cheese to a broader tasting profile. Specifically... I want them to eat what we eat for dinner!

Any ideas on how to accomplish that, please comment at your leisure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment