Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

10 Degrees of Separation...

Rounded out my Atlanta eating adventures with dinner at 10 Degrees South (http://www.10degreessouth.com/) in Buckhead. A unique spot and dining experience that gets high marks for being anything but run-of-the-mill...

This restaurant features South African decor and cuisine. Imagine a mashup of French, Scandinavian, and Mediterranean , and you can start to grasp some of the flavor profiles that show up on the menu. It is deceptively cool and chic on the inside, since the outside looks more like an office building than a restaurant. Lots of dark, warm colors, bamboo, and draperies. They must save a bundle on electricity, because most of the lighting is derived from candles and windows! Romantic? Yes. Practical? No. (this is my one curmudgeonly criticism of upscale spots like this)...

Eating with our good friends, the Deutschers (Tara gets credit for the dining selection), we shared a handful of apps with our drinks: lobster and chicken curry egg rolls, which were very tasty and served with dollops of mashed potatoes. They were long and thin; more like Mexican taquitos than egg rolls. The lobster ones came with a Russian dressing-inspired sauce -- I'm guessing it was a wink-and-a-nod to the traditional Lobster Thermidor accompaniment. The chicken version has a nicely spicy/creamy Sambal (chile based sauce) with it. This, along with Bobotie (a minced meat dish) were some of South African-inspired terms and tastes I was introduced to -- always good to keep learning! Also shared sauteed mushrooms and garlic bread. All simple preparations and presentations...

I ordered off the menu for my entree: the Swordfish special. It came with a side of yellow rice and puree of butternut squash. Its texture reminded me of baby food, but not necessarily in a bad way. It was bright and velvety, with chunks of apple for a bit of extra sweetness. The swordfish was served grilled and lightly seasoned, with a mango chutney and grilled.

We all shared a chocolate molten lava cake for dessert, which for me was a the highlight of the meal. Served with a scoop of pure vanilla ice cream, for my money, there is nothing that matches the combo of cold and warm when it comes to sweets, and we practically licked the plate clean between the 4 of us...

This meal was solid, if not spectacular, and my palate really appreciated something out of the ordinary that 10 Degrees had to offer. I now have a much better appreciation and understanding of what is often called "Rainbow Cuisine"...

No comments:

Post a Comment