Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

1 Birthday, 2 cities, 2 restaurants, 2 all-time favorites

...as a continuation of my most recent posting, the mojitos were a hit! I infused some mango into the muddling process, and the Bacardi Citron added just enough pizazz to make it a little unique and a lot refreshing. An enjoyable way to start the night with friends...
Rezzies for 6 at my favorite spot in St. Pete, Table. This joint would hold its own no matter what city you'd place it. A fusion/Latin American influence, with a terrific and eclectic menu. We basically ordered pu-pu style: wahoo cones, South Beach flat bread, and shitake chicken lollipops were passed around as starters. Snapper, Chilean Sea Bass, and Argentinian Bone-in Ribeye highlighted the entrees. Presentation was spot on, and each plate was impeccable in taste. The Sea Bass had a citrus crust, with plantain "spring rolls" on the side, the snapper was perfectly roasted with a shitake onion manchego tapinade on the side, and the chimichurri yuca fries that accompanied the gorgeous steak drew raves. Add in a more than adequate Malbec to drink, and this meal was as good as we wanted it to be...
And more than I could ask for as a way to spend my birthday evening...

Hopped a flight to NYC today, and rehearsed for my next set of nationwide TV appearances as the "Home Cooking Expert," primed to dish out advice on how to throw a killer end-of-summer soiree... but my thoughts were mostly on the evening that lay ahead. In part because I was reuniting with 2 of my oldest and dearest buddies, Pinto and Fat Lew, who I've known since grade school, but also in no small part to the fact that we were eating at Scarpetta (http://www.scarpettanyc.com/), the fine Italian dining establishment owned and operated by my friend, Scott Conant. This would be my second time visiting him there, and I must admit it's a warm and fuzzy feeling to get a bear hug from the man when I walk in the door (albeit a macho, 'man hug'). We've only known each other for a few years, but I'm an unabashed fan of his as a person and a chef.
After choosing a nice looking Antinori Chianti, we dutifully and enthusiastically accepted his offer of a tasting menu, leaving the decisions up to Scott himself. What was paraded before us in a seemingly endless stream of delicacies was a veritable embarrassment of culinary riches:
PRIMI::
RAW YELLOWTAIL olio di zenzero & baked sea salt... CREAMY POLENTA fricassee of truffed mushrooms (**a Conant Classic**)... MOZZARELLA IN CAROZZA stewed baby tomatoes... BRAISED SHORT RIBS OF BEEF vegetable & farro risotto... CRISPY FRITTO MISTO (**Another Classic**)... TUNA ‘SUSCI’ marinated vegetables & preserved truffles... IMPORTED BURRATA marinated eggplant... ROASTED BEET AND LA TUR SALAD organic beets, endive, radicchio, trucioleto vinaigrette
PASTE::
DUCK AND FOIE GRAS RAVIOLI marsala reduction... SPAGHETTI tomato & basil (**Still the best I've ever tasted**)... AGNOLOTTI DAL PLIN filled with mixed meat & fonduta, mushrooms & parmigiano...
PIATTE::
MEDITERRANEAN ORATA puttanesca, smoked eggplant puree... BLACK COD caramelized fennel & concentrated tomatoes...
DOLCE::
AMEDEI CHOCOLATE CAKE burnt orange-caramel gelato, espresso sauce... BANANA BUDINO pecan gelato & oat tuile... COCONUT PANNA COTTA guava soup, caramelized pineapple...

This was nirvana. Am I overstating it if I say that if Alta Cucina is a religion, then Scarpetta is a cathedral, and Mr. Conant is the high priest? Hell, if any meal deserves some hyperbole, this was it!
We were stuffed after the pasta plates, and still couldn't resist soldiering onward, thoroughly savoring every morsel, despite the insignificant objections of our expanding abdomens.

I am already looking forward to my return to NYC in October. I've never eaten at Craft. I want to try Pastis. Babbo is on my list, for sure. But other dining establishments be damned... Scarpetta is a place I will return to again and again, despite the truncated visiting time my travels afford me...

No comments:

Post a Comment