Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Saturday, August 8, 2009

The "Child" In Me...

With a nod to my fraternity brother Ricky Lyons' uncle Jeffrey (and cousin Ben, for that matter), I hereby doff my movie reviewer's cap to "Julie & Julia," which I just returned from seeing. What a well-told story, with tremendous acting, scripting, and even scenery (not the part shot in Queens, but the part in Paris!). Meryl Streep was in top form, as you could imagine, Amy Adams continues to pad her increasingly impressive and diverse filmography, and I always love Stanley Tucci (one of our most underappreciated actors). I knew I was engrossed in this flick when every time the scene would switch from 1950s Julia Child to 2000's Julie Powell, I was disappointed, only to feel the same way when the reverse happened. It in some way felt like two movies in one, although I doubt either could stand on its own as a feature; rather, the two storylines bolstered each other, making it each that much more realtable and enjoyable. Certainly didn't hurt that the food in the movie (and really, the recipes even more so) should get consideration for Supporting Actor come Oscar time!....
With that said, it would be criminal not to include a recipe I used the other night for dinner, which was both simple and sensationally summerific...
& as Juila would say, "Bon Appetit!" ...

Grilled Chicken with Peaches & Arugula
  • Season chicken breasts (I used thin cuts, so make sure to adjust grill times depending) with salt & pepper and brush with EVOO. Grill for a few minutes on each side.
  • Slice 1 large red onion into 1/2 inch slices. Slice 3 peaches into quarters. Toss in a medium bowl with EVOO, salt & pepper.
  • Grill onions until tender.
  • Grill peaches a couple of minutes on each side until you get some good grill marks.
  • Add about 4 cups of arugula to mixing bowl. Return grilled onions & peaches to bowl and toss, with balsamic vinegar.
  • Serve next to grilled chicken, and top with crumbled blue cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment