Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Late Night Baking


Had a fantastic day taking Jason for his first day of Kindergarten...quite the milestone. So glad I have a work schedule that allows me to be there for those moments. He made us very proud, and had a great first day...

In gearing up for a trip to NYC to host 'foodie' satellite media tour (where I appear in 10 different markets via satellite for a TV segment), I found myself doing something I don't often do...baking... and at 11pm, no less! We are a family of banana lovers, and every so often we end up with a few overly ripe stragglers. The best thing to do in this situation is make banana bread!
Found this recipe, and it turned out to be stellar...



  • Combine 2c all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a bowl. Add 1/2 pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips.

  • Combine 1c granulated sugar, 2 large eggs, 1/3c vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract in another bowl. Add 4 mashed, ripe bananas and 1/2c sour cream.

  • Combine both mixtures. Pour into a buttered 9x5 loaf pan.

  • Bake at 350 degrees for at least 1 hour, until golden brown and set.

  • Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

  • Invert and release from pan, and cool completely.

It's my birthday today, and I got another amazing cookbook to add to my collection. It's from Real Simple magazine ("Meals Made Easy"), which we find ourselves turning to quite frequently when we need good, tasty, healthy meal ideas for the family. Can't wait to dive in a pick out some faves!!


Going to dinner with some good friends tonight to celebrate. Rezzies at my new favorite St. Pete spot, Table (http://www.tablestpete.com/). Homemade mojitos at the casa beforehand. Here's how I plan on making them...



  • In a large pitcher, muddle 36 mint sprigs, 12 tsp sugar, 1 lime.

  • Add 18 oz. rum of your choice (I'm using Bacardi Limon), and 24 oz. club soda.

  • Serve very cold with ice.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment