Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fun With Gnocchi!


This is the second time in almost as many weeks that I've channelled my inner Italian Grandma (call me Nonna) in the kitchen, and made the fam a new recipe with my beloved Gnocchi. This time, however, the gnocchi was not the traditional potato-based variety; its main component was ricotta. This, together with some yellow squash and zucchini (sauteed in olive oil, salt & pepper, some onion and garlic powder, and finished with a healthy splash of balsamic vinegar), as well as nice glass of Pinot Grigio, made for a memorable Tuesday night. Mangia!

NOTE: This recipe claimed 8 servings... my wife and I finished the whole thing ourselves!!


Ricotta Gnocchi


  • In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2c ricotta (sheep's milk recommended) with 2 egg yolks & 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt

  • Add 1c all-purpose flour and stir until soft and sticky dough forms.

  • Wrap in plastic and rest for 30:00 (the dough, not you!)

  • Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.

  • On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into two ropes that are each about 1" diameter.

  • Cut into 1/2" pieces with a lightly floured knife.

  • Add the gnocchi, and cook until they rise to the surface, then simmer until firm (approx. 2 more minutes).

  • Transfer to a bowl of iced water with a slotted spoon to stop the cooking process.

  • Drain and gently pat dry.

  • Melt 4 tbsp. unsalted butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add the gnocchi and cook over high heat, turning the gnocchi until golden brown (approx. 4-5 minutes).

  • Serve right away by themselves, or with a tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment