Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Trip to Eataly


This amounts to either the biggest tease I've pulled on myself, or the most useless post this blog has seen. Why? Because I went to Eataly... AND I DIDN'T EAT ANYTHING. Not a damn thing. Not one morsel. Let me defend my heinous actions...

I was not anticipating having any time to pay my first visit to this emporium of everything Italian, courtesy of Batali & Bastianich. And in between my meetings, I had bookended two amazing meals, one of which was still lovingly digesting in my stomach (that being lunch, courtesy of David Burke Town House... see previous post). Needless to say, I was stuffed to the gills, and knowing I had an Italian fest approaching in a mere 2 hours (stay tuned for details), I made the dreadfully painful decision to eat with my eyes... and just window shop. So, I did what I normally don't do too often on this blog: I took lots of pictures!

They, of course, don't do the space, or the sundries, any justice whatsoever. This place is an absolute Italian wonderland of food, products, and more. At first, it recalled an Italian culinary version of Ikea, with it's massive, maze-like layout. But, unlike Ikea, the more lost you get in Eataly, the better. Wander in, and you're greeted by a hallway jammed with fresh veggies and fruits. Yes, I ogled the already-famous "Vegetable Butcher," who stands prepared to prep your veggies any way you like it. To the left, there's cookware and other accessories. Straight back, you get into the serious eats: meats, cheeses, wines, breads, pizzas & fish of all sorts and varieties. Each station has its own nook; its own gathering spot. What's amazing is, as jam-packed as this place looks from a bird's-eye view, it doesn't feel that way when you walk the floor. It's more like a big open air market, just without the blue skies and sunshine.
Eataly invites you to stroll, to slow down, to take your time...which I found from my one sojourn to Italy years ago, is the Italian way of life... especially when it comes to food.
I was so impressed with the authenticity of everything. Clearly, Batali & Co. accomplished what they set out to do.

In the end, I chalk this up to a recon mission: I staked out the floor plan, mapped out my mission, and strategized my game plan. Next time...ohhhh, next time... nothing edible will be safe from my grasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment