Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rosh Hashanah = Great Eats!

Happy New Year to all who are celebrating. I've always felt the one thing many religions and ethnicities can agree upon is the fact that a major tie that binds us all are the family meals we prepare for special occasions. That could be Sunday dinners, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and, in my case this time of year, Rosh Hashanah dinner.
I am very fortunate have come from a long line of great cooks, and, as is always the case, the best recipes are the ones handed down generationally. The meal I prepared last night for family and friends is no different. I am not going to re-post my brisket recipe, but I invite you to search for it in this blog's archives. I make it every year for this holiday and for Passover.
But I will regale you with another big winner, and staple of Jewish comfort food:
Spinach Noodle Pudding.
My mom gave me this recipe, which comes from her mom (my Nanny Seena), which comes from her mom (my Nanny Sadie), and who knows how many before them. It is rich, creamy, and hearty, but if you make it with just the right amount of love, it still tastes pretty light.

  • Thaw and drain 4 10 oz. boxes of frozen chopped spinach.
  • Cook a 16 oz. bag of egg noodles.
  • Meanwhile, saute 3 onions in butter until soft.
  • When noodles are done, combine all three in a large mixing bowl.
  • Add 1 large container of sour cream.
  • Add 6 eggs, slighly beaten.
  • Add 1 stick margarine (or butter), melted.
  • Combine all ingredients and season generously with salt and pepper.
  • Bake in an large baking dish at 350 degrees for 45:00, or uuntil slighly browned on top and firm inside.

Here's to a great New Year for all of us. And certainly great eats, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment