Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ya Never Know Who You're Gonna Run Into...

Today was a fun day for me. I was @ QVC, and had a couple of fun "green room run-ins"...

First, I got to meet Tyler Florence, whose career I've admired from afar for a while. He makes it look so easy on his shows, which, as anyone who knows anything about TV demonstrations (especially cooking demos) knows is not an easy feat. That, plus his foods always looks gorgeous (important on TV, no?) and accessible: not too fancy, but always impressive. He turned out to be the real deal. He was there to intro his new cookbook, Tyler Florence Family Meal, which, by the way, is really great looking. I am an admitted cook book addict (I have one of his already), but this one is seriously top notch. The highest praise I can give it, or any book of its ilk, is that I wanted to eat the book! The pictures are sensational (he puts his family front and center -- points for that!), the layout makes you feel like you're reading a book, not searching for recipes, and speaking of recipes, it's loaded with good ones, all with a comfort food bent (150 in all). It's definitely one I will add to my collection.
Best of all, TF turned out to be as genuine as his on-camera persona. We hung out for a while, talking food and restaurants, and he gave me some really useful and sage feedback on a TV project I'm working on... greatly appreciated...


Then, I re-connected with a cooking TV legend, who I worked with a few years back @ HSN. The venerable Mr. Food, Art Ginsburg, is still going strong, and only getting stronger. Quite an inspiration. He is the originator of bringing simple, tasty recipes from your TV to your kitchen. 30 years in, and Mr. Food's as popular, and energetic, as ever! I was happy to learn he now has an e-newsletter that will deliver his recipes to your inbox. I signed on immediately. You should, too!
My plan is to learn from guys like Tyler and Art as I build my TV cooking career. They have more in common than you would initially think, being from different generations, but the one thing they share, which I do my best to emulate: they make you want to watch, and they make you want to cook...

No comments:

Post a Comment