Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lazy Sundays are Perfect for Pancakes


Most Sundays I try to experiment with new pancake recipes. Something other than the traditional batter. I recently used cornmeal to make my batter, but it needs some work (or maybe a spring form) to achieve the loft and density of the kinds I've loved in restaurants.
This morning, I went with another twist, ricotta. It's one of my favorite ingredients to work with, because it's so versatile, and so creamy. I used it as a layer on my chicken cutlets -- between marinara sauce, bacon, and mozzarella -- the other night for dinner. So I had the perfect amount to incorporate this morning for a lazy Sunday breakfast. I've learned through my readings that a good chef always uses the entire amount of what he purchases, so it makes me feel good to put this to good use. I happen to like this particular recipe, from Neal Fraser (F&W mag). They are light and thin, but have a smooth, creamy texture, and the warm blueberries inside release their sweet juices with every bite...

Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberries

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
6 ounces ricotta cheese (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Unsalted butter, for the griddle
1 pint fresh blueberries or 2 cups frozen blueberries, thawed
Pure maple syrup, for serving
Directions
1.In a small bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the milk, ricotta, sugar and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth.
2.In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until frothy. Beat at high speed until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
3.Preheat the oven to 225°. Heat a griddle, then lightly butter it. For each pancake, ladle a scant 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle; be sure to leave enough space between the pancakes. Cook over moderately low heat until the bottoms are golden and the pancakes are just beginning to set, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle each pancake with a few blueberries and press lightly. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden on the bottom and cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Transfer the pancakes to plates and keep them warm in the oven while you make the rest. Serve the pancakes with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment