Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Balsamic Martinis, by Fabio Viviani & Jacopo Fellini


This is the second installment of my weekly feature of favorite recipes from chef friends and colleagues of mine. I was turned onto the wonders of the Balsamic Martini at a food and wine fest I hosted in Myrtle Beach a couple of months ago. Fabio gained near-instant fame with his turn on "Top Chef" a couple of seasons ago. He didn't win, but was the breakout personality, and I really appreciate his simplified approach to Italian food. Plus, he's a pisser to hang out with! His partner, Jacopo, is the mixologist, and the yin to Fabio's yeng. They're lifelong friends, and their shorthand communication with each other makes it apparent. Anyway, this martini is what they served a drooling crowd at their invite-only wine dinner that weekend... it's a classic Italian combo of stawberry and balsamic taken to a libation level!


It also happens to be one of the few cocktails I've attempted in my home (I'm a wine and beer guy). Made it tonight, to go with a fave recipe of mine, Flat Iron Steak Balsamico, with sliced baby bellas and sundried tomatoes, parmesan green beans with almond slivers, and parmesan roasted potatoes. All done in honor of a dear friend (and mother to my kids' best friends) who's moving away...

Without further ado, I present the Osteria Firenze Balsamic Martini:
  • Hull 3 strawberries
  • Muddle together, with the strawberries, 3/4 oz. simple syrup, 12-15 dashes balsamic vinegar, and a wedge of lime
  • Add mixture to 1 1/2 oz. Vanilla Rum
  • Add ice and shake well; serve with a strainerDrizzle the inside of the glass with balsamic glaze

We loved this drink, although it didn't quite do justice to the Firenze version. I like how the balsamic from the drink carried through to the balsamic that complimented the steak...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment