Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Take that, Paula Deen!

I embraced my inner Paula Deen tonight, minus the sack of sweets, and this Northern boy got in touch with the South! The menu for dinner: Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwiches! I went for it, inspired by F&W mag's tribute to Southern cooking recently. Lord willin' & the creek don't rise, this won't be the last time I channel some good, old-fashioned Southern recipes...
  • Slice unripened green tomatoes 1/2 thick.
  • In three shallow bowls: 1/2c all-purpose flour; 1 beaten egg w/ 1 tbsp. water; 1/2c corn meal.

  • Dredge tomatoes in 'assembly line' mentioned above. Set aside slices on parchment paper.

  • Heat 1/4" vegetable/canola oil in large sautee pan. Fry tomatoes until golden brown on each side.

  • Meanwhile, prepare 2 strips of bacon per each tomato slice.

  • Spread mayo on whichever type of thick cut bread or bun you choose. Top with arugula.

  • Place fried green tomatoes on bread/bun with mayo, bacon, arugula.

I served my sandwiches with a side of cream style corn, and a nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (Kim Crawford -- my favorite).

This dinner was light, fun, delicious... and a really nice diversion from the usual, especially from what this Jewish kid from New Jersey is used to cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment