I embraced my inner Paula Deen tonight, minus the sack of sweets, and this Northern boy got in touch with the South! The menu for dinner: Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwiches! I went for it, inspired by F&W mag's tribute to Southern cooking recently. Lord willin' & the creek don't rise, this won't be the last time I channel some good, old-fashioned Southern recipes...
- Slice unripened green tomatoes 1/2 thick.
- In three shallow bowls: 1/2c all-purpose flour; 1 beaten egg w/ 1 tbsp. water; 1/2c corn meal.
- Dredge tomatoes in 'assembly line' mentioned above. Set aside slices on parchment paper.
- Heat 1/4" vegetable/canola oil in large sautee pan. Fry tomatoes until golden brown on each side.
- Meanwhile, prepare 2 strips of bacon per each tomato slice.
- Spread mayo on whichever type of thick cut bread or bun you choose. Top with arugula.
- Place fried green tomatoes on bread/bun with mayo, bacon, arugula.
This dinner was light, fun, delicious... and a really nice diversion from the usual, especially from what this Jewish kid from New Jersey is used to cooking!