Welcome!

My photo
I love Food. Cooking it. Eating it. Experiencing it. As a result, that's what this blog has evolved into: A journal of my gastronomical journeys abroad, as well as my culinary creativity at home. I hope you enjoy what I have to say, and I'd love to hear your comments... Cheers!

Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Favorite Breakfast Date...

My 5-year-old, Lindsey, is quickly becoming my partner in crime when it comes to eating and trying new places to dine. To that end, I (we) finally made it to Skyway Jack's in St. Pete yesterday morning...

This place has a reputation that precedes itself. It was recently written up in Food Network Magazine as a top breakfast spot in the country (http://www.tampabay.com/news/briefs/skyway-jacks-gets-nod-for-best-breakfast-in-florida/1104543), and it is as kitschy as the food is good.


Lindsey got a kick out of the giant Humpty Dumpty and Rooster that greet you outside the place. And inside, it's hog heaven, with a shelf above the counter lined with ceramic pigs. Fun stuff, for sure.

Their food was as I expected, and as you'd look for in a place like this. They specialize in the classics, but also have some things on the menu that will surprise you... like... Brains 'n' Eggs. Yes, Brains. And scrambled eggs. Mixed together. Pig Brains, to be exact. Talk about a "whole hog" philosophy! After some research, I come to find that this is indeed accepted practice, and a type of "redneck cuisine" (not my choice of words!)... Being an adventurous eater, I have filed this one away in the ol' mental rolodex to sample at a later date...


The dish that got them national acclaim is their take on a Philly tradition: scrapple. I went with the Hobo Hash this time around (a mash-up of eggs,bacon, onions, peppers and cheese, with a side biscuit and gravy), but will certainly make this dish my next order when I return. I spend a good amount of time in the Philly area, so I look forward to reporting back on how legit this actually is...


1 comment:

  1. anniehue2402@yahoo.comAugust 22, 2010 at 11:07 PM

    Rich, I am from Philadelphia and I love scraple. It has to be cooked just so and one should and never ask what it is made of. I have moved away to Florida and it is un-heard of down here and kind of miss it.

    ReplyDelete