Just entered a Sandwich Recipe Contest... here's what I submitted. What are your favorite sammies? Feel free to comment below!
Italian Umami Sandwich
This sandwich has components that are singularly crunchy, crispy & creamy; salty, sweet, & savory… and sometimes each ingredient has more than one of these qualities. They all balance each other out to create a wonderfully harmonious taste with each bite. I love the combination of the 2 varieties of pork – you can never have enough charcuterie, if you ask me! And I added the sundried tomato to the aioli because I thought it would be too cumbersome to add a tomato slice to the architecture, but I wanted tomatoes to be represented.
Crunchy (toasted Italian bread)
Creamy (buffalo mozzarella)
Sweet (roasted peppers)
Savory (sundried tomato basil aioli)
· Toast 2 slices Italian Bread (about ½” thick) on one side. Use toasted side on the inside of the sandwich.
· Spread Sundried Tomato Basil Pesto Aioli on bottom slice.
· Layer Sweet Roasted Red Peppers on top of aioli.
· Place 2 slices of Prosciutto on top of peppers.
· Lay ½” slice Buffalo Mozzarella on top of prosciutto.
· Place thin-sliced crispy Pancetta on top of mozzarella.
· Top with Baby Arugula.
· Finish with top slice of bread (toasted side inside again).